I love to do crafts and have cute handouts and activities for church (and school, and friends, and - well you get the idea). I don't consider myself creative, but often use the help of others' talents. I decided to share what I'm doing for others just like me. It may be a link to where I found something or it might even be something *I* created. Right now I work as a paraprofessional at my kids' elementary - in special ed (autism). I started creating items for my 3rd graders this year and can't wait to share them with you. I am the 1st counselor in YW (first time in YW is this past year). I also have ideas for cub scouts and sunbeams posted, my previous callings.

Monday, January 14, 2013

DIY Valentine's Gifts

I never posted the Valentine's gifts I made last year so in case you are looking for ideas here is what we did:
I made some salt dough (play dough) for my first grade class that I go into.  I dyed it red and I rolled it out.  Using a cookie cutter I cut it into heart shapes.  I put one heart into a snack size baggie (there was room that I could have put two in each bag) and stapled a Valentine's Topper over the zipper of the bag:
Actually, I cut out a topper out of cardstock, folded it over the bag, stapled.  Then printed off the saying onto regular paper and used a tape runner to place it over the cardstock.  That way you don't see any staples.

My youngest gave out hugs and kisses:
First I took some Valentine kisses and wrapped them in red saran wrap and tied it with valentine ribbon (don't cut the ribbon yet):
Slide on the tag:
And tie it around a Hug barrel drink (I bought them at Walmart):
Slide in the straw, trim your ribbon and you have a gift of Hugs and Kisses!

If you have the mini zip top bags that you can find in the craft store you can use thoseYou can use those two ways: 1- fill with hugs and kisses OR 2- fill with kisses and attach to a hugs barrel drink (like above).  These are cute, but I didn't have enough left for the whole class.  I made these the same way as the dough. 
 
Last year owls were all the range and I incorporated them into my son's Valentine's.  His class didn't really do an exchange, but we made some anyway.  I had come across a great deal on scented pencils (a bucket of them) over the summer and bought them.  My kids loved them so I knew the 5th graders would too.  I used my cricut to cut out owl shapes (you could use clip art).  I had two ideas:



We ended up using the first one (click on the pictures to enlarge).  I cut out the owls and then printed the saying on labels and stuck them on the back.  We taped on the pencil towards the bottom - we wanted it to be like a branch.  The second idea was shaped more like a traditional valentine with the saying at the top and a branch at the bottom.  I cut slits into the paper to slide the pencil in on the branch.  Here is a close up of the saying - he didn't want it lovey dovey, he is a 10 year old boy (you could use valentine instead of friend, but he chose friend):



If you still need ideas check out this post for fun saying/tags or the post from the year before here.  You can view instructions/download tags for:




 

You could also use mini flashlights or glow sticks for this tag.


Linking up here:


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the cute ideas!

    LDS Scriptures Premium is the highest rated paid LDS scripture app and includes the Standard Works, Study Helps, Manuals, Magazines, Lists and Pamphlets and features Highlighting, Bookmarks, Notes, Search, Audio, Trivia Game, Custom Content, Video, etc.

    LDS Scriptures Premium is available for Android, Kindle Fire, Nook HD & Windows!

    Google Play Store: LDS Scriptures Premium

    Amazon Appstore: LDS Scriptures Premium

    Nook Store: LDS Scriptures Premium

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found you through a link on a Silhouette fb group. You are Awesome! Thank you for your amazing ideas and sharing them! :) I am so glad I "found" you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of fun ideas! Love the treat toppers and salt dough hearts! Thanks for linking at Printabelle!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear your comments. It is great to know that others are reading your blog (to know that your time was well spent) and to know what they think of it. I welcome your ideas, suggestions, comments, questions! Please also consider becoming a follower if you haven't already.