I love to do crafts and have cute handouts and activities for church (and school, and friends, and - well you get the idea). I don't consider myself creative, but often use the help of others' talents. I decided to share what I'm doing for others just like me. It may be a link to where I found something or it might even be something *I* created. Right now I work as a paraprofessional at my kids' elementary - in special ed (autism). I started creating items for my 3rd graders this year and can't wait to share them with you. I am the 1st counselor in YW (first time in YW is this past year). I also have ideas for cub scouts and sunbeams posted, my previous callings.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bear Cub Scout Elective 2c - Rain Gauge

April has been such a rainy month that I decided it would be the perfect time to make a rain gauge.  This will accomplish Elective 2c:
Make a rain gauge. 
After searching the Internet this is what I did:
  • Have one empty Gatorade bottle for each boy along with some small rocks (other supplies needed: sharpie, ruler, scissors, and some water).
  • Start a cut in the bottle at the top.  There is a little groove that I used (I tried to have my bear scout saw it thinking that they could accomplish part of the tool requirement, but it turns out that this isn't a good item for them to saw).  I ended up using the saw to make a hole just made it big enough to fit scissors in (I used my pampered chef scissors).
  • At the activity give each boy a bottle and have them cut in the groove all the way around.  They will now have two pieces ~ their base and their funnel. {Sorry about the pictures.  I decided to do this after the fact and used my son's beat up water gauge for the pictures.}
  

  • Take the rocks and fill the bottom.  It will only need a thin layer just covering the bubble in the bottom.  This will be the weight to keep it from tipping over.

    • Put in just enough water to cover the rocks.  Mark the water line.  This will be zero ~ they'll need to keep water in it up to zero at all times to get an accurate reading.

    • Using a ruler mark up the bottle at least every 1/4 inch, but preferably closer together (especially for dry areas).
    • Place the funnel into the base.  

    • Record your water levels in the journal:

      The boys need to check their gauge several times a day. The water collected will evaporate throughout the day.  They also need to make sure the water level stays at zero.  If would be best if they can check it right after a storm.  If measuring snow bring it inside and let it melt first.

      7 comments:

      1. Wow...this is great! I was just planning an activity to make a rain gauge for next week and here you have all the work done for me. Thanks ! This is awesome.

        ReplyDelete
      2. Thanks so much for your ideas... we made this last night, it was so much fun.. specially because we had a big storm last night... so the kids got a lot of rain in their rain gauge... thanks

        ReplyDelete
      3. Could not have been happier to come across this post. I've been working to help my bear scouts earn their Cub Scout World Conservation Award and this was perfect for Elective 2! Thanks for sharing.

        ReplyDelete
      4. What Size Gatorade Bottle Did You Use?

        ReplyDelete
      5. I want to say 32 ounce, but I don't have one to look at. It is the larger ones, but not the huge bottle.

        ReplyDelete
      6. Thank you! I've been trying to figure out how to do this and you are a life saver! I can't wait to get this going.

        ReplyDelete
      7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

        ReplyDelete

      I LOVE to hear your comments. It is great to know that others are reading your blog (to know that your time was well spent) and to know what they think of it. I welcome your ideas, suggestions, comments, questions! Please also consider becoming a follower if you haven't already.