I love to do crafts and have cute handouts and activities for church (and school, and friends, and - well you get the idea). I don't consider myself creative, but often use the help of others' talents. I decided to share what I'm doing for others just like me. It may be a link to where I found something or it might even be something *I* created. Right now I work as a paraprofessional at my kids' elementary - in special ed (autism). I started creating items for my 3rd graders this year and can't wait to share them with you. I am the 1st counselor in YW (first time in YW is this past year). I also have ideas for cub scouts and sunbeams posted, my previous callings.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bear Cub Scout Achievement 3e


My daughter made a mobile at school with our state as the topper and the state symbols hanging from it.  I thought that that would be a great idea for my Bear Cubs to pass off Requirement 3e: 
  1. Choose a state;  it can be your favorite one or your home state.  Name its state bird, tree, and flower. Describe its flag. Give the date it was admitted to the Union.
I of course chose our state since I was doing it as a Den meeting.  I searched the Internet and found these helpful websites (they have all the states, not just Virginia):
http://www.kidzone.ws/geography/usa/
http://www.apples4theteacher.com/coloring-pages/usa/

I printed off an outline of our state and enlarged it.  It ended up being on two pieces of paper, but I just overlapped them and had them glue it together.  I printed one of the following in color to use as a guide and a black and white outline for each boy: the state flag, the state bird, the state flower, and the state tree.

I had them cut out the state and glue it together.  Since Virginia is a little bumpy they cut around it and not right on the lines.  We then talked about our state flag.  One of the sites listed above gives the meanings to the flag.  As I taught them about the colors, symbols, and meanings they colored the flag.  We then went over the tree, bird, and flower as they colored those.

They cut out each of the symbols.  The flag was glued to the back of the state.  I brought a needle and crochet thread.  I put the string through the symbol and the bottom of the state plus one string on top to hang it by.  The boys then tied them on. 

DON'T FORGET to look up when your state was admitted to the union.  There is a place in their book to put this information or you could add it to the front of the state.  I forgot this, but fortunately for me one of the boys already had it done so I was able to share it with the others.

One of the sides:

The other side:

Sorry for my pictures.  One day I'll do better, but for now I'm just lucky to get them taken and posted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE to hear your comments. It is great to know that others are reading your blog (to know that your time was well spent) and to know what they think of it. I welcome your ideas, suggestions, comments, questions! Please also consider becoming a follower if you haven't already.