I love to do crafts and have cute handouts and activities for church (and school, and friends, and - well you get the idea). I don't consider myself creative, but often use the help of others' talents. I decided to share what I'm doing for others just like me. It may be a link to where I found something or it might even be something *I* created. Right now I work as a paraprofessional at my kids' elementary - in special ed (autism). I started creating items for my 3rd graders this year and can't wait to share them with you. I am the 1st counselor in YW (first time in YW is this past year). I also have ideas for cub scouts and sunbeams posted, my previous callings.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

I Love My Whole Family (Primary Manual 1, Lesson 25)

Sunbeam Lesson #25, I Love My Whole Family

I was recently called to the Sunbeams.  My team teacher and I were formally nursery workers, but when both the sunbeam teachers were released they moved us up to Sunbeams.  I was very sad to leave my nursery class ~ I had a bunch of cute kids!  My Sunbeam class is cute too, they are just more challenging.  We are working hard at getting them to stay in their seats (Any suggestions?).  They have a short attention span.  I guess I should state that I have taught Sunbeams (and then the 4 year olds) for YEARS.  It has been awhile, but it is the calling I've had the most and the longest.  This bunch is a little harder to keep their attention and to keep seated.  I must say we had a great week last week, but we were also a little smaller.  I tell you this to let you know that I like lots of interaction and hands on.  I always search for ideas and hardly ever come up with my own.  Often I will borrow someones idea and recreate the same thing or something similar.  My first source is Sugardoodle.net (and I try to share back with her since I use so many things).  If you know any great site with ideas, please share.

Here is what I plan to do:
First we are going to make a family chain.  I found the original idea here, but made a few more chains and added color.  Each chain has a family member listed: me, parents, brother(s), sister(s), cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents and a box to draw their family in.  At the bottom of this post are the downloads for black and white or color.  I chose to print the chains in color and the heart in black and white using red paper (which is a little thicker than copy paper, but not as thick as cardstock).  I also cut out and put each child's chain in an envelope (the same envelope will be sent to mail their letter - see next idea).  If they had multiple siblings I used the brothers or sisters, but if they only had one then I used the singular chain - brother or sister.

We are also going to mail hugs to an extended family member.  This idea I got here and I didn't change a thing.  I sent it home in an envelope already containing a postage stamp.  Hopefully the parents will just add an address and mail it off!

While at Costco we sampled a cereal that I hadn't heard about before:

Quaker Whole Heart is much like Cheerios, but heart shaped.  How fun is that?  Anyway, we are going to make bracelets with them.  They will have fun edible heart shaped bracelets that we will make as we talk about loving our whole family.

If you choose to download, please become a follower first (on the right).  I'm happy to share my creations with my followers.  If you would like to leave a comment too that would totally make my day!

Download Family Chain Here - Black & White
And since my daughter FINALLY colored in the stick people (I knew I should have done it myself) on the chains so I could have an example for the kids (and pictures for you), I decided that the chains would look better longer.  So I went it and fixed the documents so that they are.  If you wanted the longer chain version download below.

Download the Longer Family Chain Here - B&W
**Make sure you click landscape after the document comes up to print or it won't print correctly!**

If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this! It helped in a last-minute lesson planning situation.:)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear your comments. It is great to know that others are reading your blog (to know that your time was well spent) and to know what they think of it. I welcome your ideas, suggestions, comments, questions! Please also consider becoming a follower if you haven't already.