I love to do crafts and have cute handouts and activities for church (and school, and friends, and - well you get the idea). I don't consider myself creative, but often use the help of others' talents. I decided to share what I'm doing for others just like me. It may be a link to where I found something or it might even be something *I* created. Right now I work as a paraprofessional at my kids' elementary - in special ed (autism). I started creating items for my 3rd graders this year and can't wait to share them with you. I am the 1st counselor in YW (first time in YW is this past year). I also have ideas for cub scouts and sunbeams posted, my previous callings.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

I Am Thankful for Birds and Insects (Primary Manual 1, Lesson 13)


Sunbeam Lesson 13: I Am Thankful for Birds and Insects

This is another fun lesson I have done in the past.  First I make binoculars.  You can do this with two empty toilet paper rolls or two rolled up pieces of cardstock.  Glue them together and punch a hole in each side.  Tie some string or yarn through the holes so that they can hang from their neck.  I also print bug jars and insects from my Primary Partners CD.  I did find one similar on Sugar Doodle (but the insects are different): http://c586449.r49.cf2.rackcdn.com/bugjar.pdf.  I cut out the jar and staple a Ziploc bag to it.  I color around each insect with marker.  Same insect = same color (all the bees are yellow, the crickets green, etc.).  I put painters tape rolled on the back covered with a piece of wax paper.  The wax paper removes easily and it is much faster to hang them with tape on them.  Before class I hang the bugs and insects around the classroom.  The kids come in and sit in their seats.  I give them their binoculars and then we start the lesson (after prayer of course). 

I bring in a lot of Eric Carle Books: The Very Hungry Catepillar, The Very Quiet Crickets, The Very Busy Spider, The Bad Tempered Lady Bug.  Plus I use the activities in the book for the bee, spider, and butterfly.  

First we talk about birds at the beginning of the lesson.  Then we move to the insects.  I read a story (for example The Very Quiet Cricket) and then I tell them to use their binoculars and go find a cricket to put in their jar.  I also tell them what color the cricket is.  There is a story or activity for each insect.  The kids love it!

Our page for our creation book:
It is hard to see but the top of this page is blue and the bottom is green.  I used their finger to make lady bugs, bees, a butterfly and a caterpillar.  When it is dry add details with a sharpie. If you need more of an explanation of how they were made leave me a comment.  If you click on the picture it should enlarge for you. Here are some more examples:


As I finish the other lessons I will post the links here: 
For lesson 15 click here
Cover and Labels click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE to hear your comments. It is great to know that others are reading your blog (to know that your time was well spent) and to know what they think of it. I welcome your ideas, suggestions, comments, questions! Please also consider becoming a follower if you haven't already.